Monday, June 7, 2010

Scouting the Draft: 1-10 Recap

The first 3 picks stuck pretty true to form, but then the surprises started dropping starting with KC taking Christian Colon. So much for him dropping the the Giants!

1. Nationals: Bryce Harper- BPA, #1 overall pick. I'm not as sold on Harper as some. He reportedly has huge personality issues led by an enormous sense of entitlement. Beyond that, I don't like his swing which to me has a big windup that is going to have to go before he is ready to be a MLB hitter. If I was the Nats GM, I'd feel like I had to take him too, but I'd rather not be in that position.

2. Pirates: Jameson Taillon- Flip-flopped with Baltimore on Taillon vs Machado. I think Pittsburgh made the right pick and will be forever glad they had the #2 pick and not #3. Advanced power pitcher who should advance quickly despite coming out of HS.

3. Orioles: Manny Machado- Machado was the consolation prize. Everybody said Baltimore was in an easy position because they would take whichever of Machado or Taillon Pittsburgh didn't take. I bet Baltimore would have gladly traded places with the Buccos.

4. Royals: Christian Colon- The Grandal deal apparently fell apart at the last minute, if there was ever a deal in the first place. Chris Sale appeared to be the backup plan. Christian Colon? Hello! A few serious reporters like Mayo picked this up just today, but talk about throwing the mock drafts into chaos! I think it's a great pick. Colon should stay at SS. He got off to a slow start, but finished the year strong. He should provide both power and speed with a quick development time to a Royals team badly in need of help, fast.

5. Indians: Drew Pomeranz- This one stayed true to form. Everybody likes the lefty, but I'd have taken the RHP with more power, Deck McGuire, but that's just me.

6. D'Backs- Barrett Loux- Big surprise here as everyone assumed they would go with Deck McGuire or Chris Sale. Loux had a fantastic Junior season for Texas A&M. If he's more signable than either Sale or McGuire, I'd have done this too as I think Loux has every bit as much chance of succeeding.

7. Mets- Matt Harvey- A Boras client, but it would make no sense for him to go back to school where his value could only drop. Mets get a pitcher with great upside. May take a bit longer to develop than other college pitchers though.

8. Astros: Delino DeShields- DeShields caught helium late in the draft season. The 'Stros were looking at him for #19 but apparently decided he wouldn't last that long. I personally think this is an overdraft driven by tools and pedigree.

9. Padres: Karsten Whitson- High ceiling HS pitcher. Not a bad choice, but a RH power bat like Michael Choice might have made more sense from an organizational standpoint.

10. A's: Michael Choice- I thought Billy might surprise everybody and go with his current obsession with speed and OF defense by popping Gary Brown here. Obviously Billy still loves him some college power hitters. Nice pick, but very typical Oakland.

More bit surprises to come. I'll be back in a bit with rounds 11-20 and then on to the Giants pick!

4 comments:

  1. Ive been refreshing your page all evening waiting to hear what you have to say.

    I think its pretty funny, the 200 stair references on McCovey Chronicles.

    Also, I just wanted to say thanks for posting every day since I read every single "Down on the Farm".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Delino DeShields a bit old for the Am Draft? Sounds like a Sabean pick to me...

    OK, bad joke, but it was just sitting there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, why were teams shying away from Cox who was referred to as a top 5 prospect over and over again? Was it this years version of Porcello?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celgin: Thanks for reading. Thanks for your patience. I had to share the computer tonight with my daughter who needed it for a school project. I'll catch up in my draft comments in a bit.

    There were rumors of Cox making exorbitant bonus demands and I think he's a draft eligible sophomore so has the leverage of the option of going back to school.

    ReplyDelete