Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Down on the Farm: 4/27/2011

AAA There were no games scheduled in the PCL today.

AA Richmond Flying Squirrels outlasted the Trenton Thunder 1-0 in 11 innings:

Charlie Culberson(2B)- 1 for 2, 3 BB. BA= .289.
Mike McBryde(RF)- 3 for 5, SB(3), Assist. BA= .250.
Eric Surkamp(LHP)- 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K's. ERA= 2.21
Dan Otero(RHP)- 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K's. ERA= 3.29.
Jason Stoffel(RHP)- 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K's. ERA= 0.00.

McBryde showed off his tools. He just doesn't hit consistently enough to be taken seriously as a prospect. Maybe he should think about pitching? Surkamp seems to be the real deal, at least in his ability to miss bats. He has 31 K's in 20.1 IP, so far this season. Dominant effort by Otero and Stoffel continues to be lights out.

A+ San Jose Giants made 2 first inning runs stand up for a 2-0 win over the Modesto Nuts:

Jarrett Parker(CF)- 1 for 3, HR(2). BA= .221.
Craig Westcott(RHP)- 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K's. ERA= 2.38.
Hector Correa(RHP)- 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K's. ERA= 2.51.

Parker has 2 HR's in as many games. He played CF in this one with Brown getting a breather by DH'ing.

Low A Hickory Crawdads edged the Augusta Greenjackets 3-2 in 11 innings:

Seth Rosin- 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K's, GO/AO- 7/3. ERA= 3.63.
Jacob Dunnington(RHP)- 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K. ERA= 2.57.

Nice start by Rosin who had gotten off to a slow start but seemed to be improving with each game.

5 comments:

  1. Do you know what Surkamp's fastball velocity was at during this game? I had heard rumors about his fastball being able to hit 90 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't know what Surkamp's velocity was in this game, but it's been fairly widely reported that he can get it up to 91 or 92. Combine that with a highly developed curveball and a good changeup and yeah, you really have something to work with.

    One thing I've learned from reading Band of Misfits is that curveballs that work in college and the minors don't necessarily work in the majors. Timmy had a killer curve in college and the minors. When he got to the majors, he found out it was too slow and easy for hitters to pick up. If he threw it out of the zone the hitters wouldn't chase and if he threw it in the zone it got smacked. He totally scrapped it by the end of his rookie season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought timmy scrapped the curve because he fell in love with the change

    he does throw the curve...but picks certain counts

    and i was reading sickles who quoted you as saying that surkamp's change needed a bit of work

    surkamp has a year or two to develop another pitch...but if reports are correct, the curve is pretty devastating and may indeed translate into the majors...and he can be seen as a solid back of the rotation sort of pitcher

    i wonder how decker is gonna rearrange the deck chairs, now that his two speedsters are out of the lineup...

    and neal is on the 7 day dl..shoulder issues

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sickels quoted me? I guess that tells you something about him because I sure as heck don't know what I'm talking about. I just pick up stuff that I read and report on what I see at the few SJ games I go to. I haven't seen Surkamp pitch in person. Baggs' BA scouting report on Surkamp called his changeup a "plus" pitch. Can't remember where I saw that Surkamp's change might not be quite up to the standards of this curveball. Maybe I dreamed it or something.

    As for Timmy's curveball, I'm just going with what I read in Band of Misfits. If anybody has the info, it seems like it would be Baggs. Can't say I've seen Timmy throw a true curveball in the last 2 years, so those counts must not be coming along very often.

    Don't like to hear about repeated trips to the DL for Neal. Wasn't his shoulder an issue early in his career?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neal hurt again... Bummer

    I don't understand the comparions of Surkamp with Zito but then I was a railroader all my life. Surkamp throws hard with ALOT of crazy drop-off on his pitches. Severe jerky drop off. I saw Surkamp and Westcott last year and I did not know why they didn't much press. He is one of the Mueller HS line with a dixie accent. Madbum and Surkamp would be able to talk and no one would understand them...

    ReplyDelete