Friday, April 2, 2010

In Memoriam: Mike Cuellar

Some of you may remember an earlier post I wrote about my childhood memories entitled Blast From the Past: Me and the Screwball. One of the heroes of that story, LHP MIke Cuellar died today at the age of 72, 72! I can remember when he was a young pitcher for the Houston Astros. That was before he was traded to the Baltimore Orioles for Curt Blefary. He became part of a great starting rotation for Baltimore that participated in 3 consecutive World Series from 1969-1971. He won a total of 185 MLB games and was the co-Cy Young Award winner with Denny McLain in 1969. His signature pitch was the screwball, a pitch we sadly no longer see in baseball. This news makes me sad!

Please look through the Archives to the left of this blog and click on the post, Blast From the Past: Me and the Screwball for more on Mike Cuellar and the role he played in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment