Saturday, April 3, 2010

Fantasy Impact: Savvy Vets Update

Our league commissioner has allowed unlimited moves from the time of our draft until midnight tonight. After tonight the moves allowed resets to 40 and that is our limit until the end of the season. I got to thinking that I could make better use of the two roster spots I had filled with setup relievers Brandon League and Mike Adams. League has tremendous talent, but has stunk it up this spring and has never shown the results to be a MLB closer. Who knows if he would even get the call if David Aardsma goes down? As for Adams, he's pitched very well this spring, but Bell is firmly entrenched as the closer for now. Any trade of Bell is not going to go down until near the trading deadline, if at all.

Conor Jackson of the D'Backs was available on our free agent list. Jackson missed most of last season with Valley Fever, but seems to be fully recovered. He had a tremendous year in 2008 and has been great so far in the spring. I dropped League and picked Jackson up. He's sit on the bench for now, but with both OF and 1B eligibility, he gives me a lot of options if another player is struggling or gets injured. In fact, Conor will start for me Monday night as the Rays and BJ Upton are idle! Who knows? I might even be able to trade him for a closer down the road!

I already profiled Jaime Garcia in another post. He's a rare pitcher who has only RP eligibility but is going to be a full time starter, at least for now. He's the #5 starter for St. Louis. He's had a great spring and has that great lineup behind him, so I expect some W's if nothing else. His K/9 has always been stellar in the minors when healthy. He could come in useful down the road if I eventually decide to punt the Saves category. I dropped Mike Adams and picked up Garcia. This one is a bit more debateable, but I've always believed in immediate contribution over what might or might not happen in the future as far as fantasy baseball is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment