Friday, March 25, 2011

Fantasy Focus: 2011 Savvy Vets

My fantasy league held its draft tonight. It's a 10 team league, H2H, 5X5, 6 Keepers. I present to you the 2011 Savvy Vets fantasy baseball team(Keepers denoted with a (K)):

C Brian McCann(K)
1B Paul Konerko(K)
2B Howe Kendrick
3B Casey McGehee
SS Reid Brignac
IF Adam Dunn
OF Justin Upton(K)
OF Brett Gardner
OF Chris B Young
UT Chone Figgins
UT David Ortiz
SP CC Sabathia(K)
SP Matt Cain(K)
SP Francisco Liriano(K)
SP Jonathan Sanchez
SP Ervin Santana
RP Matt Thornton
RP Francisco Rodriguez
RP Craig Kimbrel
P Jose Contreras
P Jake McGee
BN Manny Ramirez
BN Ivan Nova
BN Kyle McClellan
BN Erik Bedard
BN Edwin Jackson

My draft went as follows(keep in mind the 6 keepers were already on the team). I was picking #6 in a standard snake draft:

1. Adam Dunn
2 Brett Gardner- I went for raw power with the first pick. Went for speed with the 2'nd).
3. Matt Thornton-I know it's early for a closer, but closers are in high demand in this league and only about half the teams have settled closer situations. I ended up punting Saves last year and found out just how hard it is to win when you punt a category. Wilson and Heath Bell were Keepers on another team. Marmol and Neftali Feliz were already gone.
4. Francisco Rodriguez- I wanted at least 2 closers I could count on.
5. Chris B Young- Can hurt you with BA, but hits HR's and steals bases.
6. Jonathan Sanchez- I'm looking for an epic breakout this year. I had him as my #2 ranked SP behind Dan Haren in this draft. Obviously a lot of better pitchers were already Keepers.
7. Casey McGehee- There was a run of third basemen. McGehee was actually my top ranked at that position, so I figured I better grab him before someone else did. The 3B rankings after about #8 or 9 was not pretty.
8. Reid Brignac- again, there was a huge run on SS's. Brignac was on my All Breakout Team. He hit a HR ever 18 AB's after his callup last year. I figured he wouldn't be there at my next pick and the dropoff at SS was steep.
9. Howie Kendrick- If he can stay healthy, he might finally win that batting title everybody has been long predicting for him. He gives you double digit HR's and Steals too.
10. Craig Kimbrel- A serious run on closers had started. I was impressed with Kimbrel in the NLDS, to say the least. I think he will ultimately win the full time closer gig in ATL. This pick fills out my RP slots. There are 2 more P slots that can be used for SP's or RP's. My league lets you reset your lineup daily, so I like to use my bench as an extended starting rotation which frees up the two P to be potentially used for more Saves.
11. Chone Figgins- I think Figgy will bounce back some this year and I figured I needed another SB threat to complement Gardner.
12. Manny Ramirez- Manny still qualifies as an OF or I can use him in a UT position. He may be done, but also may have 1 last big year in him as the DH in TB.
13. David Ortiz- Hit over 30 HR's with 102 RBI's last year for Boston.
14. Ervin Santana- won 17 games last year for Anaheim. I couldn't believe he was still available this late.
15. Ivan Nova- I think he's going to win a lot of games pitching in front of the Yankee lineup.
16. Kyle McClellan- Converted RP who put up great numbers as a reliever. St Louis has a way of finding pitching in the darndest places. They will score some runs to back him up too. McClellan has had a nice spring training.
17. Erik Bedard- Bedard finally seems healthy and has pitched great in spring training. If figured he was worth a chance this late.
18. Jose Contreras- Looks like he's going to be the closer in Philly while Lidge is out. I actually don't think Lidge is coming back this time. As much as closers are valued in my league, I figured it was a no-brainer to take a chance here.
19. Jake McGee- I think he will ultimately emerge as the closer in TB. They just don't want to put pressure on the kid by naming him to the position coming out of camp. Agan, worth a flyer.
20. Edwin Jackson- I was stunned to find him still on the board at my last pick in the draft. A no brainer here.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

11.

2 comments:

  1. our old buddy kfran had an interesting day...cut by the friars in the early afternoon...picked up by the snakes in the early evening

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frandsen needs a couple of months of steady AB's at the MLB level to get his feet under him. At this point, I don't know if that ever happens. He's never really been the same since that achilles tendon injury. Very bad timing, that.

    ReplyDelete