Sunday, March 27, 2011

College Corner: Ricky Oropesa

My man, Ricky Oropesa, had a huge weekend in a 3 game series against UCLA. Ricky had been hitting for a fine BA with doubles power, but you really want to see HR power out of a corner IF. He faced off against none other than Gerrit Cole on Friday night. Now, Cole is being touted by many analysts as the frontrunner to be the #1 overall draft pick in the upcoming June draft. That's how good he is! Well, Ricky went 3 for 5 in the game including a HR, his first of the season. Trevor Bauer, who may end up being the steal of the draft, dominated on Saturday with a 1 hit, 14 K shutout, and an 0 for 4 with 3 K's for Ricky. Ricky struck back on Sunday against freshman Adam Plutko, a very good pitcher in his own right, with a 3 for 4 and another HR and 5 RBI's! So, for the weekend, Ricky went 6 for 13 with 2 HR's. His season line now stands at .372/.427/.532 with 2 HR's. Ricky has always tended to be a slow starter so look for more weekends like this from him between now and the end of the season. Having a game like that against Gerrit Cole has got to be a shot in the arm for Ricky's ranking on draft boards!

7 comments:

  1. DrB, thanks for the great work on your blog. Thats gotta help Orepesa's stock doing that against Cole. He should get drafted high based on his power potential. This is going to be an interesting draft for me to follow because I'm reading its a deep draft and I've seen several impressive prospects play here in Hawaii. Noe Rameriz, Nick Rameriz, Tyler Pill-he came within 1 out of pitching a 7 inning perfect game played this weekend for Cal St Fullerton. Tyler Anderson of Oregan and Tayler Jungman of Texas pitched here earlier. I remember Orepesa when USC played here last year. I think there are going to be good players available when the Giants draft in the 1st round and sandwich round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where the night against Cole may raise his stock how about the night against Bauer. Just watched the youtube of his at bats off Bauer - not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say Bauer has been raising his stock a whole lot all season. He's a bigger version of Tim Lincecum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DrB, Just curious if you have a favorite player or players that you would like to see the Giants draft in the 1st and sandwich rounds? We know you like Orepesa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be very happy if they drafted Ricky in round 1 or in the supplemental round. I don't think Ricky really fits the profile of what the Giants are typically looking for in those slots.

    I think relative organizational weaknesses are at shortstop, 3B and pitcher.

    I haven't really settled on any 1 player I'm hoping they draft. Some of my thoughts:

    I would be ecstatic if either Trevor Bauer or Tyler Anderson fell to them, but I don't think they will.

    Henry Owens is a HS LHP I really like a lot. He may not fall to #29 either.

    I like Jason Esposito from Vanderbilt as a SS/3B with power and speed. He hasn't been as impressive this year as last though. There's Levi Michael, the SS from North Carolina who may be the college SS most likely to stick at the position. Christian Lopes is a HS SS who is projected to go late in the first round. There is a another HS SS who projects more as a 2B who might be available. I can't think of his name right now. I'll look him up and post it in another reply. I really like BA Volmuth, a SS for Southern Mississipi who probably projects as a 3B but seems to have enough bat for it. He may be available as late as Round 2 but I would be happy if the Giants took him in the Supplemental First

    Hope that answers the question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Brandon Meredith, a 1B/RF for San Diego State. I could see the Giants taking him somewhere in rounds 5-10 if he lasts that long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reply, great stuff.. I read its a deep draft for college pitching,so maybe they'll get a chance to draft a Tyler Anderson. I'll be happy with that pick. The Giants haven't drafted a good SS/3B prospect since Matt Williams. Interesting that Vanderbelt has another corner infield prospect (Esposito) considering Pedro Alvarez came from there. I read he's a good athlete which might appeal to the Giants.

    ReplyDelete