Saturday, February 7, 2015

DrB's 2015 Giants Top 50 Prospects: #45 Dylan Brooks

Dylan Brooks, RHP.  DOB:  8/20/1995.  6'7", 230 lbs.

2013 Rookie AZL:  0-0, 6.14, 7.1 IP, 13.50 BB%, 9.82 K%
2014 Rookie AZL:  2-1, 3.18, 34 IP, 3.97 BB%, 11.91 K%

The Giants drafted Dylan Brooks in the 30'th round of the 2013 draft as a 17 yo high schooler out of Canada.  His size alone made you sit up and take notice.  I was pretty excited when they got him signed.  He struggled out of the gate, and again early in the 2014 season.  Then something seemed to click and he dominated the second half of the 2014 AZL season with a line of 2-0, 0.93, 19.1 IP, 8 BB, 27 K over his last 10 games.  He and Stetson Woods formed what I called the "Two Tall Ones" duo for the Arizona League Giants.  Add in Logan Webb and Rayan Hernandez, who I will cover in the HM section, were the Four Kids.  Add in young international arms like Michael Santos, Keury Mella and Deiyerbert Bolivar and the Giants have what I think is an impressive contingent of young arms coming out of the low minors in the near future and that does not count the guys drafted out of college.

I don't have much of a scouting report on Brooks.  He looks like a big strong kid with high hips and long limbs.  He is a drop and drive guy with a long stride that lands him closer to home plate than your average pitcher.  His release point is 3/4 and he appears to hide the ball well, bringing if from behind his ear after turning his upper back to the batter.  The only velocity number I could find was 88 in his pre-draft PG report.  He would definitely appear to have the physical potential to go a lot higher than that.

8 comments:

  1. Did you know he will be suspended for 50 games to start the season? Sad start for this prospect. I read somewhere that we have a catcher named Geno Escalante who will also get 50 games.

    http://m.milb.com/news/article/20150130107953138/brooks_alexander_anderson_suspended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not seen that. I knew about Escalante and Ethan Miller.

      Delete
    2. It is unfortunate for Brooks. But since Baseball treats smoking pot as a violation of its policies, as a "drug of abuse," I am not too worried about Brooks' character and his commitment to being a pro player when I learn that a drug of abuse was his downfall at the age of nineteen.

      Delete
    3. Dang. I missed that too. That's a bummer.

      Delete
  2. There's just something I like about this guy DrB. I've had him in my top 50 for a couple seasons now. The last scouting report I read aside from his old Perfect Game account (and I'll be honest I can't remember exactly where I found it) mentioned that he was throwing low-90's and had a good feel for his secondaries. I believe it mentioned his changeup as the top offspeed offering. With both Brooks and Woods, they both just seem very mature for young guys. They also seem to repeat their deliveries well for being so tall, which we know isn't easy to do.

    There are a handful of videos of Brooks pitching as a high schooler on Youtube, but if you do a Google image search for him, there are a couple of thumbnails that pop up in a Giants uniform. Those Giants pictures, and the shots of him in high school don't even seem like the same kid. To me he looks older, much more mature, and even a little bigger. He's just a guy who really intrigues me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing if any of these young arms get pushed to Augusta this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am excited to follow Webb, Woods, Brooks and Rayan this season. The moniker of the "Four Kids" is cool and I hope they all get to pitch for Augusta this year so we can keep using it. Do you see that assignment as a possibility or too aggressive for Webb and Woods? Who do you see as starters in that group and who do you think will end up in the pen?

    Clint in Anaheim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way Woods pitched in Arizona, I would think Augusta would be a logical place for him to start 2015. Probably Webb too, but Webb had so few IP. Probably depends on how they look in spring training.

      Delete
  4. How about the "Twin Towers" to dig up that old reference to David Robinson and Tim Duncan of basketball?

    ReplyDelete