Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hot Tip: Juan Marichal's Pitching Mechanics

Sickels, for some reason, is posting a series of pitching videos looking at pitching mechanics of HOF pitchers over on Minor League Ball.  Started yesterday with Bob Feller and I thought it was just a one time whim.  Today he put up Don Drysdale and Juan Marichal.

I post this because I still think Juan Marichal is just about the most amazing pitcher in the entire history of baseball,  let alone the best I've ever seen.  I read recently that the leg kick was added late in his development to help him deliver the ball over-the-top.  Juan was well known to deliver the ball from just about any angle, but his natural delivery was more low 3/4 or sidearm and he wanted to deliver it straight over the top most of the time.  The leg kick helped him do that.

I'm not sure he slid off the mound after every pitch like that though.  I've never seen that before and I don't remember any discussion about it, but back in the day, there was never any real discussion of pitching mechanics like there is today.

Anyway, check it out, everybody.  The site is linked over on the left:  Minor League Ball.

7 comments:

  1. I like how it was in the old days, GMs, coaches and managers didn't try to change players mechanics, if the player is succeeding why change? Don't get it and never will. And there wasn't no sabermetrics. Am not a fan of WAR, FIP, etc. In some ways they help but in other aspects they overrate some players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need a balanced approach. I know statistics like WAR, FIP, UZR, as well as the old standby's OBP and SLG% have added to my understanding of the game. The more traditional stats like RBI's, Runs BA and ERA have their place too. You have to take context into account and it there is an outlier stat look for a reason before chalking it up to chance or luck.

      Delete
    2. My main issue with these stats is the outcome sometimes seems ridiculous . How can a WAR in a player tell you how much they have to earn?? How can someone say that Ricky Nolasco is a better pitcher than Matt Cain because his FIP is better?? When Cain has put up better numbers than Nolasco since day 1, in the important departments (ERA, IP, QS, CG, SHO, GS). How can someone say that Nyjer Morgan was worth more than Ryan Howard in terms of WAR in 2009 when Howard that year slugged 45HR and 141RBI??? and I know for sure Howard didn't make 100errors. The guys who invented this stuff (Bill James) are trying to put baseball like if it was rocket-science. It will be really helpful if someone explained how to calculate WAR, FIP, act, so that I can understand this better and see if it makes more sense than it does now.

      By the way, DrB, do you have a scouting report on OF Leonardo Fuentes and is he going to Salem???

      Delete
  2. FIP is 13HR+3BB-2K/IP + 3.10
    WAR is using things such as OPS and SB's and SB rates and comparing them league averages

    I think most saber metric's are good in context. I think it is hard to compare different players saber metrically because its like apples and oranges. Matt Cain might be terrible by saber metrics but if you look at his career all of his stats are pretty well lined up with his career averages things such as FIP, HR/FB, K rate, BB rate LOB%, BABIP, you have to look at their metrics to determine whether things such as W,ERA, and QS are repeatable then you can compare players

    ReplyDelete
  3. the guys and gals at fangraphs can stuff it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess Matt Cain showed them tonight, huh? Take THAT Fangraphs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys make me laugh out loud. Truly special. Matt Cain. 22nd in MLB history, first in the 128 year history of the Giants.

    ReplyDelete