Monday, September 24, 2012

Fantasy Focus: Savvy Vets in Finals

Maybe some of you are wondering how my fantasy team, Savvy Vets, is faring in my fantasy league.  OK, maybe you aren't, but there isn't a whole heckuva lot else to talk about with the Giants having clinched the NL West title and having the day off, so I'm gonna tell you and you're gonna like it!  Anyway, it's been a long season with Savvy Vets holding the second best record in the Baseball Addicts Unite Yahoo league.  Our league has 10 teams with 6 making the playoffs.  As the second seed, Savvy Vets got a bye in the first round and won their second round.  We are currently beginning our championship head-to-head.  I'm facing the #5 seed.

As some of you remember, we had an auction draft at the beginning of the season.  I will review the Savvy Vets opening day roster then post the current roster with some comments.  I hope this is somehow helpful in your own fantasy baseball ventures.

C  Matt Wieters  $15  Dropped him midseason for Brian McCann who I later dropped for Wilin Rosario who has been fantastic.

1B Prince Fielder  $30  Kept him all year.  Down year for HR's but has maintained a .300 BA with >100 RBI's.  Well worth the $30 pricetag.

2B  Dustin Ackley $4  Pretty much a bust.  I tried to be patient but finally dropped him about 2 months in. Picked up Aaron Hill who has been fantastic.

SS  Dee Gordon  $12  Bust.  Picked up Scutaro on the FA market and we all know how he has done.

3B  Jose Bautista  $45.  My most expensive player.  Hit HR's but dragged down my BA until he went on the DL where he remains today.

IF  Pablo Sandoval  $20  Kept all season.  Good when healthy.  Two stints on the DL were a bit frustrating, though.

OF  Andrew McCutchen  $25.  The steal of the draft!   Has outperformed all the $40+ guys except possibly Ryan Braun. Needless to say, I kept him all season.

OF  Melky Cabrera  $2.  Another steal until.....well.....Obviously dropped him when he was suspended.

OF  Alejandro De Aza  $3  Not really a bust but I wasn't thrilled with what I was getting out of him so dropped him about 2 months in.  Picked up Reddick who was fantastic until recently.

UT  Freddie Freeman  $3  Steady player all year but I thought I could do better.  Dropped him about 2 months in.

UT  David Ortiz  $3  Another steal.  Fantastic production before hitting the DL with the achilles problem.

SP  Zack Grienke  $25  Kept all year.  Steady Eddie. Solid value for the price.

SP  Madison Bumgarner  $13  Kept all year.  Solid value.  Almost a steal.

SP  Ricky Romero  $6  Disappointing.  Traded for Jordan Walden who lost his closer job in LA.  Romero was eventually dropped by the guy I traded him to.  Trade was a bust for both sides.

SP  Cory Luebke  $4  Did great until going down the TJ.

SP  Brandon Beachy  $5  Did great until going down with TJ.

RP  Kyle Farnsworth  $4  Started the year on the DL.  Never got his closer job back.  Bust.

RP  Brian Wilson  $12  TJ.  Bust.

RP  Joe Nathan  $5  Kept all year.  Excellent closer.

P  Grant Balfour  $1.  Up and down year. I dropped him when he lost the closer job the first time.

P  Vinnie Pestano  $1  Closer in waiting who kept waiting all year.  I dropped him about 2 months in.

BN  Jordan Zimmermann  $4  Kept all year.  Excellent SP with consistent results.

BN  Brandon Morrow  $5  Ran hot and cold before oblique injury.  I decided he was not worth using up a DL spot on and droppped him.

BN  Ervin Santana  $6  Terrible start to the season and never got much better.  Dropped him after about 4 starts.

BN  Chris Capuano  $2  Kept all season.  Solid value for $2.

BN  Trevor Cahill  $1  I drafted him by mistake.  Dropped him before the season started.  I don't remember who I picked up for him.

Current Savvy Vets Roster:

C  Wilin Rosario
1B  Prince Fielder
2B  Aaron Hill
3B  Pedro Alvarez
SS  Marco Scutaro
IF   Pablo Sandoval
OF  Andrew McCutchen
OF  Jayson Werth
OF  Yoenis Cespedes
UT  Josh Reddick
UT  Desmond Jennings
SP  Zack Grienke
SP  Madison Bumgarner
SP  Jordan Zimmermann
SP  Phil Hughes
SP  Hiroki Kuroda
RP  Joe Nathan
RP  Jonathan Broxton
RP  Carlos Marmol
P    Ryan Cook
P    Santiago Casilla
BN  Chris Capuano
BN  Jarrod Parker
BN  Chris Medlen
BN  Francisco Liriano
BN  Ben Sheets.
DL  Jose Bautista
DL  David Ortiz.

I use my bench as an extended SP rotation.  I will lose the Saves category in the Finals.  Rosters are frozen for the playoffs, plus, I ran out of moves about 2 weeks before the end of the regular season.  I've won something like 6 or 7 weeks in a row with this bunch.  Hoping for one more!

Comments?  Questions?

5 comments:

  1. Cool stuff Doc..I also have a fantasy baseball team in a 15-team rotisserrie style league...The name is "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" and am in 2nd place with a small chance of taking first by next week..From the get-go, I drafted CAIN, MADBUM, CABRERA, SANDOVAL and POSEY.....and picked up VOGEY as soon as he was healthy....Losing Cabrera was a big blow but somehow I got SCUTARO as a FA!!!... ...Anyway, here's hoping Pablo, Buster and Scoots get alot of ABS the last 9 games!

    SteveVA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats DrB on your success so far. Good luck on winning it all!

    I miss playing fantasy baseball, but it took a lot of my time. I liked how it kept me informed on who the best players are and who the best prospects are, it is really good for keeping me up on baseball in general. But work got heavier and it was a choice between that or stopping my blog, so I stopped gaming.

    Nice team, nice pickups. Looks like you have done very well, I've been wondering where you stood with your team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad someone was interested and appreciated the update. I know the internet is full of people who think other people are interested in their fantasy team, so I try to keep it to a minimum. Thanks for humoring me with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many teams are in your league, Doc?

    Your team looks so damn deep to me, but then I realized I was comparing it to the fantasy league I used to play in: an NL only league with 12 owners, so things got a little thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just a 10 team league. I don't really have any superstars, except McCutchen, but I think it's deep even for my 10 team league. My strength, ever since I've started playing fantasy is finding unheralded starting pitchers who perform really well. I've done better with hitters this year.

      12 Team NL Only is brutal. You really have to dig for talent in a league like that.

      My dream is to play in a 12 team mixed league. I think that would be the right balance.

      Delete