Saturday, September 8, 2012

Down on the Farm Playoff Edition: 9/7/2012 Nuts 2 Giants 0

The Modesto Nuts blanked the San Jose Giants 2-0 to win the playoff series and end the Giants season for 2012:

Joe Panik- 2 for 4.  BA= .417.
Taylor Rogers(RHP0- 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 5 K's.
Josh Osich(LHP)- 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
Tyler Matzek(LHP, Nuts)- 7.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K's.

Matzek was the Rockies' first round draft pick in 2009(the year the Giants drafted Zack Wheeler).  He struggled with his command again this year, but pitched 6 innings of shutout ball in his last regular season start and shut down the Giants in this one.

The San Jose Giants were the only minor league team in the Giants organization who made it to the postseason, so this marks the end of the regular Down on the Farm posts for 2012.  I may post some thoughts between now and the end of the MLB season but with the Giants in the pennant race down to the wire and possibly the postseason, the focus will be on that until the offseason.

Thanks for reading and commenting, everybody!

13 comments:

  1. Awww, Nuts!

    Say, since the Giants brought up Blackburn to start, why didn't they bring up Crick too? Not that I minded too much, I'm more of the win with who brung you philosophy, as a reward to the pitchers who were there during the season, though for Blackburn and Crick, I'm willing to make exceptions.

    Thanks for a great season of Down on the Farm 2012! Much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they pitched Crick in the next-to-last game to try to give him the ERA title and that didn't go so well. I think Blackburn is just more advanced a pitcher than Crick. They probably want Crick to get some more experience in instructional league before throwing him to the Cal League wolves.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for being a great resource for Gints prospect hounds. That SJ rotation is going to be DOPE next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for all the hard work doc

    the guys all tweeted how they were disappointed to be going home...but pretty happy to be going home

    naybe this with be the year when during the winter meetings, the owners finally realize that its time to cease running their developmental system like its the 19th century

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hold your breath on that last thought, Bacci.

      Delete
  4. Thanks again, everybody. As always, the pleasure of doing this is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hembree going to afl

    not sure how i feel about this, unless his pitch count will be limited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Hembree will go as a reliever. His numbers have looked stronger since his return from the DL. I doubt he will pitch more than 1 inning at time down there.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the great reporting and commentary Doc. Appreciate the blog and read it regularly though I dont comment all the time. You da man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your daily minors reports, Doc. In particular, I appreciate the fact that you include batting averages with the game stats - the greater context is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I also feel like including the BA provides a lot of context that is missing from other summaries which is why I do it. Some might argue with BA as being a poor stat, but it's really amazing how much it tells you about these players and gives a much better idea of the significance of their one-day performance.

      Delete
    2. I like seeing the BA too, it does give context to the stats and comments you make.

      If I may suggest something, I would also like to see the number of HRs given up added to the starting pitching line. As you know, I adhere to the PQS methodology and you already cover the other 4 bits of info I need, HR is the last I need to compile a PQS mentally. So I don't need it for the reliever then. And if there were none, then you could leave it out, I would be OK with that. But if that is too much work, I understand, just thought I would put this out there, just in case it is not too hard to add.

      Delete