Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Scouting the Draft: Round Two Tier


Note:  Dylan Crews OF, HS has reportedly withdrawn from the draft to honor his commitment to LSU.

Here is a list of players I would consider drafting in Round 2 broken down by demographic:

College Hitters:

Justin Foscue 2B
Jordan Westburg SS
Nick Loftin SS
Aaron Sabato 1B
Freddy Zamora SS
Daniel Cabrera OF
Casey Martin SS
Parker Chavers OF
Anthony Servideo SS
Zach Deloach OF
Alika Williams SS
Hudson Haskin CF

College Pitchers:

Clayton Beeter RHP
CJ Van Eyk RHP
Christian Roa RHP
Nick Swiney LHP
Logan Allen LHP
Nick Frasso RHP
Nick Garcia RHP
JT Ginn RHP

High School Hitters:

Chase Davis OF
Drew Romo C
Cayden Wallace 3B
Drew Bowser 3B
Elijah Nunez OF
Yohandy Morales 3B
Robby Ashford OF
Harold Coll SS
Blaze Jordan 1B
Enrique Bradfield
Mario Zabala OF
Coby Mayo 3B
Isaiah Greene OF

High School Pitchers:

Dax Fulton LHP
Carson Montgomery RHP
Cam Brown RHP
Markevian Hence RHP
Jared Jones RHP

Most of the names listed here are potential targets for the Giants two compensation picks at #68 and #69, although I believe there is a real chance that several names I have listed as 1C's could fall that far.  Of course, once you get past #49, signability becomes a concern, especially for the HS talent.  I will say this, IMO, the future of college sports is even less certain than professional right now so I'm not at all sure the right move for these kids is to skip the draft and go to school, although going to school is never a totally bad thing.

He is probably unsignable outside the first round and he's too much of a risk to go that high, but I am obsessed with Robby Ashford, OF.  Most athletic player in the draft and it's not really that close.  If a team, "cough", has some room to play with signing bonuses and can find a way to offer close to first round money in round 2, they should definitely kick the tires.

Likewise, Dax Fulton LHP, who is out with TJ surgery, has a high enough ceiling he makes a nice upside play in round 2.  I would favor him over JT Ginn in round 2 because I think the ceiling is higher.

Although the Giants biggest organizational need is pitching, the most intriguing names for the compensation picks are found in the HS hitters list.  If they came away with 2 players out of the above list for those slots, I really couldn't complain.

3 comments:

  1. How in the he11 do you do all this, Doc!
    I got nothin' to do all day, all night and couldn't do/know half of what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I spend about 1 hour every morning and another hour in the evening before bedtime. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night and spend 30-45 min until I get sleepy again, but that's about it. Sometimes a little more time on weekends.

      One of the skills you learn in my profession is to rapidly find information and data in a chart, filter out the non-pertinent stuff then analyze what's pertinent and formulate an assessment and plan. A big part of that is knowing where to locate the pertinent stuff in a large chart so you just go straight to it rather than having to search through the whole darn thing. I think that's basically what I do with baseball information.

      Delete
  2. After doing a little research and watching a few videos, I got to say, I'm not sold on Soderstrom. His left handed swing looks polished and he looks like a good athlete. The videos that I have seen don't demonstrate that he has much power. They show him hitting line drives. His footwork behind the plate is not so hot. He has a slow release and a hitch when throwing. I have heard reports that he did not always start for his high school team at Catcher because the high school had a better defensive catcher. You could say that he has a solid bat if he is going to stick at catcher. I'm not sure he is premium offensive player at a premium offensive position like 3B or LF. But just my 2 cents. I don't have a crystal ball either.

    ReplyDelete