Sunday, August 4, 2013

Game Wrap 8/4/2013: Rays 4 Giants 3

The Giants lost a see-saw battle with the Rays whose bullpen proved to be stronger on this day.  Probably would be on most days.  Key Lines:

Gregor Blanco(.252)/Andres Torres(.246)- 0 for 5, 2 K's.  These two have not been getting it done at the top of the order and Bochy announced after the game he would be looking at other options.  I would think Scutaro is most likely, although I understand Pence is a consideration.

Marco Scutaro- 2 for 4.  BA= .310.  I'm all for Scooter batting leadoff, but who bats second then?

Buster Posey- 2 for 4, 2B.  BA= .310.  Buster was the DH today.

Brandon Crawford- 1 for 4, 3B.  BA= .273.  Crawford drove in 2 of the 3 runs.  He was the 7'th ranked MLB SS in WAR coming into the series.  I'm pretty sure it didn't go down.

Guillermo Moscoso- 4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 3 K's.  ERA= 6.14.  A very Zitoesque performance by Moscoso.

Giants now come home to start a 4 game series with the BrewCrew.  Chad Gaudin faces someone named Tyler Thornburg in the opener tomorrow evening.  He pitched 6 shutout innings in his last start.

4 comments:

  1. Can crawford bat second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After giving it some thought, yeah, I think Crawford and Scutaro should bat 1-2 in either order.

      Delete
  2. It will be nice to see Vogie back in the rotation in a week to 10 days. He cruised at Richmond. I'd like to see him pitch well down the stretch so the Giants pick up his option.

    Looks like Belt reverted back to his old self striking out with a runner at 3rd and 1 out. Frustrating...

    Will Myers - I know I praised him earlier as a good looking rookie hitter and future star, but he does show a liitle bit of cockiness in his game which I don't care to see from a rookie. I know Cody Ross flips the bat after a dinger too, and I'm sure the opposing players don't care to see it. I'll still say good trade for Tampa because they wouldn't be where they were at without Myers, and they get control of him for awhile, and they replaced Shields with a young pitcher like Archer.

    LG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of hilarious to me - I spent a good amount of time on a post about batting order and comping to league average, trying to see what has gone wrong... And then this comes out. I saw the twitter chatter about Scutaro or Pence leading off. Do me a favor and check it out, tell me what you think. From my analysis most the problem comes from 3 things: CF/lead off going from a position of strength to extreme weakness; domino effect on the LF platoon moving it from neutral/defensive strength to more extreme weakness; Pablo Sandoval playing way below reasonable expectations/prior performances. Pence and Belt? Streaky and slumpy but not a problem overall. Posey and Scutaro: just fine. Crawford: also just fine, with the caveat that he has hung in there through a nagging injury while putting up good numbers.

    Giants have shown flashes all year, but then lost nagging games, and then cratered against bad teams such as the marlins and cubs. We've still got 50 games though, and I like what Joe Maddon said about our club. I like that guy a lot. But the hitting won't really matter if the pitching and defense continues to be our weakness, not our strength. Leadoff walks and not putting that third out away...

    ReplyDelete