Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Down on the Farm: #50 Jean Delgado

#50 Jean Delgado, SS. 5'11", 150 lbs. BD: 1/5/1993. B-R, T-R.

Rooke AZL: .225/.385/.320, 1 HR, 16 BB, 18 K in 71 AB.

Delgado was the first of 4 Puerto Rican HS players drafted by the Giants in 2011 taken in the 8'th round. Obviously, he is on the small side, but BA reports "that doesn't stop him from taking a big hack and showing solid bat speed as well as good barrel awareness", whatever barrel awareness means. A lack of arm strength may force a move to 2B. He didn't show too much in his pro debut except an ability to take a walk, but hey, it's a place to start and not a bad one at that. That was enough for me to find a place for him at the end of my top 50 Giants prospect list. It wouldn't surprise me if he repeated the AZL in 2012 although low A Augusta is a possibility.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't impressed by the numbers, but then again, he was an eighth round pick and he is still pretty young (19), so the poor start to me isn't much to panic about. I will say, just from watching the tape, I like his skills and tools and think he has some nice athleticism. It'll be interesting to see how he'll do in his second professional season, and I think No. 50 is a pretty good spot for him on this list, as I do think he still has some potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is doing now the prospect?

    ReplyDelete