Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Scouting the 2018 Draft: Nander De Sedas

Nander De Sedas, SS, HS.  6'1", 190 lbs.  B-S, T-R.  De Sedas is a HS SS from the same prep school as Francisco Lindor.  De Sedas is bigger and stronger than Lindor and may have the tools to stick at SS.  He started switch-hitting last year and is already proficient from both sides of the plate.  Here are the PG numbers:

60 Yard Dash:  6.67.
Arm:  96 MPH IF.
Exit Velocity:  94 MPH.
Time to Impact:  .102(excellent!).

Here are some scouting comments, also from PG:

Strong athletic build.
Outstanding defensive actions.
Plus range in all directions.
Very quick exchange and release.
Switch-hitter, legit from both sides.

On top of all that, if this kid reaches the majors, he will be in serious contention for the greatest name in the history of MLB!  In a SS smackdown with Brice Turang, at least based on what I've seen, I'll take De Sedas in a heartbeat.  I would even have to think twice before I put Jarred Kelenic ahead of him!  Brian Sabean once said that his draft philosophy was to draft shortstops then move them to where they are needed. He also has a longstanding love for switch-hitters.  I can see the Giants taking this kid at #2 overall.

*********************************************************************************

DrB's 2018 Draft Board:

1.  Jarred Kelenic, OF, HS.
2.  Nander De Sedas, SS, HS.
3.  Kumar Rocker, RHP, HS.
4.  Ethan Hankins, RHP, HS.
5.  Brady Singer, RHP, College(Florida).
6.  Brice Turang, SS, HS.

4 comments:

  1. I could see De Sedas going #1 to the Tigers. Given his position and offensive profile I would rate him above Kelenic. If he's available at #2 and Giants scouts are confident he can stick at SS I would be perfectly happy with the Giants choosing him over Hankins since pitchers are inherently more breakable than position players. This draft seems particularly strong in pitching and SS so if the Giants pass on pitching in Round 1, there will be quality arms available early in Round 2 and likely vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep writing these kids up and making waffle. Thing is, anyone of the Top-5 would likely do well and make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked up video of De Sedas, he looks pretty solid and intriguing, and I could see him going top 5. He didn't jump out to me like Kelenic did for example (I know, I'm all over that guy), but I also didn't see any red flags like I did with Singer or Turang. I'd like to see some more video of him with some different angles, especially the view from center field like a tv broadcast, which I find very helpful in envisioning what they might look like at the big league level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping you'd profile this kid soon DrB. There was a good BA article on him that I read over the weekend. He sounds very mature/level-headed, and ultra competitive. Like you, I'd say he's very near the top (if not #1) for me right now. I would love for the Giants to take a college hitter who has the chance to get to the bigs quickly (there have been many atop recent drafts), but as it stands right now the high school crop seems like a no-brainer at #2 for me. Thanks for your great work as always!

    Cove Chatter

    ReplyDelete