Saturday, October 14, 2017

Scouting the 2018 Draft: Brice Turang

Brice Turang is a HS SS out of Corona, CA.  I believe he is the son of Brian Turang who had a brief major league career with the Mariners in 1993-94.  Brice is on the small side at 6'0", 165 lbs, B-L, T-R.  For a guy who is listed at the #1 draft prospect on some early rankings, there isn't a lot of information out there about him.  He apparently skipped the PG showcase where they do all the measurements.  One video I saw had him 3.97 to 1B on a bunt and 4.2 on a swing.  I think that is pretty good.  We don't seem to have any 60 yd dash times nor any throwing velocities.  I have seen scouting reports that question whether he has the arm for SS.  If he has speed, I suppose he could play CF.  His swing reminds me of Corey Seager's which is pretty good, except Seager is listed at 6'4", 220 lbs.

This kid is awfully small and I'm not sold that there is a lot of projectability there and there is information which I consider vital to scouting HS talent that is missing, at least from the sources I know about.  I'm going to say he is at best a second tier draft prospect without further information.

*********************************************************************************

DrB's 2018 Draft Board:

1.  Jarred Kelenic, OF, HS.
2. Kumar Rocker, RHP, HS.
3.  Ethan Hankins, RHP, HS.
4.  Brady Singer, RHP, College(Florida).
5.  Brice Turang, SS, HS(likely to fall further as we profile more prospects).

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, Turang makes me think of Royce Clayton. To be sure, Clayton had a nice career, but I believe he was at one time the #1 prospect in the game as rated by the Sporting News (please correct me if my memory is off)and never quite lived up to his promise. I would expect more out of the #2 pick in this particularly strong draft class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the same page regarding Turang. Actually, I looked at video of him and thought "What?! This guy is being projected #1 in some drafts?" No offense to him but he didn't look impressive at all, either with his swing which looked surprisingly weak given his buzz or his build which looks quite slight.

    ReplyDelete