Monday, March 14, 2022

Hot Stove Update: Giants Sign Jakob Junis

 The Giants signed Jakob Junis RHP to a major league contract today(1 yr/$1.75 M) but don't have to keep him on the MLB Active Roster because he has an option so they can stash him in AAA until/unless a need arises on the rotation.  He can also be a multi-inning reliever if a need arises for that role.  

Jakob Junis RHP.  DOB:  9/16/1992.  6'3", 220 lbs.  

2021(Royals):  2-4, 5.26, 39.1 IP, 9.38 K/9, 2.75 BB/9, FIP= 4.31, xFIP= 3.88.

I have liked Jakob Junis for awhile now.  I added him to my fantasy baseball team in 2017 and 2018 because of his low WHIP(1.28 and 1.27) combined with adequate K's a W here and there.  His stock dropped off since then mostly due to a high HR/FB.  His peripheral stats were actually quite good last year, a fact I am sure was not lost on FZ's army of number crunchers.  If any coaching staff can help him limit HR's, I would bet on the Giants.  Love the signing.  At worst he can eat some innings if needed during the dog days.

*************************************************************************************

Giants DFA'd two pitchers to make room on the 40-man roster for Carlos Rodon LHP and Junis, Hunter Harvey RHP and Caleb Baragar LHP.  Hey!  I'll take that trade off!

*************************************************************************************

Tea leaves are starting to read San Diego for Seiya Suzuki OF although he denies having made a decision.  Seems likely no accident FZ is suddenly saying he was never focused on only a RH bat and a feature on Michael Conforto OF appears in Pavs' column.  How about Conforto and Tommy Pham OF?

4 comments:

  1. There are also reports now in Tokyo that the Cubs have signed Suzuki....I guess that's better than the Dodgers or Padres. I hope Harvey clears waivers and takes a minor league deal with Giants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's disappointing. Suzuki does seem like a perfect fit for the Giants. I guess I'm still holding out a bit of hope for Kris Bryant. I also still think Tommy Pham is a great bounceback candidate and a FA sleeper.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I agree I really wanted to see Suzuki in the orange and black. Kind of bummed out about not getting him. I guess now we'll have to pivot our hopes for re-signing Bryant or going for Castellanos. Both would be my preference :) Tommy Pham wouldn't be the signing that would have the fans super excited, but he would seem to be more of a Farhan move. And there's nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there goes any thoughts of reuniting with Kris Bryant - 7yrs and 182 million reasons to call Coors Field home. I guess the Giants and the fans will have to say "Hi"gh a whole bunch of times in the near and not so distant future....Full No trade clause too....That's probably at least the marker to get Castellanos.

    ReplyDelete