Friday, January 3, 2020

Blogger's Note


Thanks to everybody for all the kind words in response to the New Year's post.  I'm not going to belabor it, but I do want to address a couple of points.

1.  I apologize to those who are having difficulty accessing the blog and/or commenting.  I am quite technologically illiterate myself so have limited ability to make changes to settings and things like that.  At the moment, for reasons that mystify me, I am not even able to comment on my own posts!  I am hoping a family member will have time to to help me get that back on track as I also enjoy the banter back and forth and think it adds to the reader experience.

2.  Due to the efforts of a particularly nasty and persistent troll, I had no choice but to start moderating comments.  I won't go into details, but after considering as many options as I could think of, I concluded the best way to manage it was to moderate each and every comment on it's own merits.  Unfortunately, that policy remains necessary.  I do try to review comments multiple times per day.  Most comments get posted within 1-2 hours, many in less than 1 hour.  That is the best I can do for the foreseeable future. Thanks to everybody for your patience.

3.  I will say a few words about moderating policy.  Nobody is banned.  I evaluate each and every comment on its own merits no matter who posted it.  The usual rules apply, but since I am not able respond to comments within the comment section, I have become a bit more "picky" about what comments I publish.  Respectful disagreement in a well thought out comment is welcome.  On the other hand, if someone appears to be trying to hijack the blog by posting essentially the same rant after every post, I'm going to start deleting those comments. I understand it's a fine line, but again, there is a difference between respectful, intelligent disagreement and repeatedly hammering a point in an attempt to dominate the blog.  I allow the former but not the latter.

Again, I appreciate everybody who continues to read and comment.  I am overwhelmed that so many people find it worth their time.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding managing comments, to eliminate unwanted commenters, this may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4RflO5Wgg

    I am not very tech savvy, but I bet there is enough tech skill among those who regularly comment to get this all figured out. It wouls surely be a big plus for you to be able to reply to comments.

    In any event, thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re your comment: At the moment, for reasons that mystify me, I am not even able to comment on my own posts!
    Couldn't you just to your site like we do

    http://whenthegiantscometotown.blogspot.com/

    and comment like we do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m only able to comment from chrome where I’m logged into google. Since I have an iPhone, I do t use chrome as much. It used to be fine. Something changed a while ago.

    ReplyDelete