Thursday, February 10, 2011

Down on the Farm: DrB's 2011 Giants Top 50 Prospects- #29 Jake Dunning

#29 Jake Dunning, RHP. BD: 8/12/1988. 6'4", 188 lbs. B-R, T-R.

Short Season(Salem-Keizer): 1-0, 2.95, 36.2 IP, 8 BB, 46 K, GO/AO= 1.82.

Jake Dunning was drafted as a shortstop in 2009 out of Indiana U. He played 23 games as a position player for the AZL Giants that year and pitched just 1 inning allowing 1 ER. The Giants apparently liked what they saw on the mound and he came out as a pitcher in 2010 and put up some impressive numbers for Salem-Keizer.

Baseball America named Jake the #20 prospect in the Northwest League for 2010. Their scouting report has his fastball in the 92-95 range with a slider and changeup that show potential but need polish. His size and stuff have drawn comparisons to another converted shortstop named Joe Nathan. There is some thought that the Giants might try him at starter. I'll guess he goes to San Jose if he stays as a reliever and to Augusta if they convert him to starter.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a little surprised you have Dunning behind Dunnington. I have Dunning #18, and although he's intriguing I don't have Dunnington in my Top 30 (although I'd definitely have him 31-35 somewhere).

    Doc, I'm assuming Jake is a starter, and that certainly colors my perception a bit. Jacob is so young that I can't reasonably predict anything for him yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if I am going off topic but I just received the DVD of the national league series & World Series last week. This is so awesome. I just watched Game 4 of the world series.... Bumgarner was so dominant, Sanchez everywhere, Renteria, Posey, Huff so clutch. I really think that the MVP trophy should have gone to the team this time not just one player.

    I can't wait for the season to begin...

    Go Giants!!

    Back to the topic, Go Jake Dunning!!

    GIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunning sounds intriguing because he has good stuff and throws strikes and the Giants are good at developing pitching.. I read an article about him in BA saying the Giants were pleased with his 1st season. Not bad for a conversion project!

    ReplyDelete