Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blast From the Past: Memories from the NLDS

Got a few days break before the NLCS kicks in. Plenty of time for analysis/debate. Gonna take a break here and put up a fluff piece on memorable moments in the NLDS. Things I think I might remember 10 years from now, 20 if I live that long:

Right off the bat, Tim Lincecum! Oh my! As dominant a performance as I've seen from any Giants pitcher, ever, and I go all the way back to Juan Marichal! At no time did I have any serious doubt that he would pitch a complete game shutout. He was that dominant! You know, Roy Halladay is a heckuva pitcher, but if the same Timmy shows up on Saturday, I'll happily put my money on Timmy. BTW, is is just me, or is Timmy not looking quite so gaunt in the face lately? Maybe his uni is not hanging off him quite so much? Maybe eating better and working out better? Maybe not living on booze and ganja? Not that I'm saying he ever did that, but gotta wonder.... Man, the new Timmy on, what, 9 days rest? Look out Phillies and Roy Halladay! Let's just hope he's not too amped!

Buster's non-stolen base. I mean, he was out by a full 4 inches, but the ump called him safe. I just chalk it up to evening the score for Phil Cuzzi.

Greg Kimbrel coming in and throwing bullets. Man, I'm filing that one away for my fantasy draft next spring!

I have no memories of Game 2. Deleted from my memory bank.

Jonathan Sanchez calmly dominating in Game 3.

The empty feeling of deja vu all over again when Hinske homered in Game 3. I as convinced at that point the Giants were destined to lose not only the game, but the series as well.

Freddy Sanchez swinging wildly at the first two fastballs from Kimbrel that were nowhere near the strike zone. I really, really figured the next swing would be even worse that that would be it. I knew the game was lost at that point.

Freddy Sanchez pulling himself together and singling up the middle to keep the game alive.

Bobby Cox panicking and pulling Kimbrel after Sanchez' hit. I knew the Giants had a chance then.

Aubrey Huff's single to right, just deep enough that Travis Ishikawa came around from 2B to score the tying run as memories of JT Snow running the same route with legs churning, but his body not moving ran through my head.

The vacant look of devastation on Sergio Romo's face as he sat in the dugout. All I can say is it's a good thing his teammates picked him up, and big time!

Poor Brooks Conrad!

Madison Bumgarner throwing darts and calmly working his way through the Braves batting order even after giving up a go-ahead HR to Brian McCann in the bottom of the 6'th inning.

Santiago Casilla throwing bullets.

Timmy jumping, no levitating, about 3 feet off the ground in the dugout as the Giants scored the go ahead run in game 3.

Is there a dummer, more tired cliche in all of sports as the obligatory champagne showers in the post-game locker room? Oh man! Maybe that's why I'm not a ballplayer, but I would absolutely hate that! It would take all the joy out of it for me, I can tell you that!

I was not moved to tears by Bobby's tears. I really don't like Bobby Cox, but I'm glad the Giants showed their class by applauding him at the end of the series.

What are your memories of the 2010 NLDS?

3 comments:

  1. On the other hand, the picture of Cain having trouble opening the champagne bottle is precious. I love the youthful exuberance of LIncecum contrast against the calm maturity of Cain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! Hadn't thought of that but it's true.

    It's also good to see Timmy's exuberance back. I thought there were times during the season when Timmy seemed a bit sullen and withdrawn. Of course that was during his struggles so I guess it's understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pitching, pitching, pitching, and Posey.

    Plus Cody Ross.

    ReplyDelete