Thursday, January 7, 2010

Whither Dr. B?

Thanks to tedfordfan for giving the blog a fanshot on mccoveychronicles.com. "MCC" is pretty much the gold standard of Giants oriented blogs. Grant writes very insightful, funny, intelligent posts and gets great participation from the community.

Just to set the record straight, my disappearance from MCC had nothing to do with any dissatisfaction with the site or any debate I was involved in. I am quite computer and internet illiterate. My daughter had to help me set up this blog. When MCC went to SBNATION, it required a re-registration. For some reason, it wouldn't accept my registration, and I was never able to figure out how to navigate back in. At the time, I was extremely busy with family and work responsibilities and decided to confine my posting to sfgiants.com message board. Even there, I posted much less frequently than before. I have continued to be an active reader of MCC and vote in the polls.

I eventually decided that I wanted to try my own blog whether anyone read it or not. It is very gratifying that people are starting to find When the Giants Come to Town.... and seem to appreciate it. I hope to keep on providing interesting and challenging material in the future. My goal is to write at least one new post per day for at least 1 year and then re-assess at that time.

One more record to set straight: In the 2007 draft, Beau Mills was my first choice, but I really liked Jason Heyward a lot. His scouting video reminded me of a young Willie McCovey! I favored Mills because the Giants desperately needed bats at the MLB level and I thought the college draftee would be ready sooner. As it turned out, Bumgarner was a better choice than Mills, but Heyward is looking like he was the best pick in that entire draft by a fairly large margin.

Anyway, check out mccoveychronicles.com. It's a great website. Just make sure you bring game if you plan to post over there. They'll eat you alive if you don't.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome, it's good to hear that it wasn't a problem with anyone or anything. I'm also glad you're putting together your own site, although it means I have yet another baseball site to read each day. I look forward to your posts as you always have good insight into the Giants and their prospects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this could be a fun venue, glad you started it. Your posting at the team site helped get me interested in the minors a few years ago, and now I got all the geographically possible games on the calendar.
    Some winters the prospect rating gets tiresome--but not when the Gmen system is this strong and diverse! And the blogosphere is diverser now too. 54

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...sing 'Bye, Bye, BABY!'"

    Hello!
    What is this "game" you speak of needing to bring?

    (I just bring a gun.
    They seem to respect that, and it's easier to fit under my belt than Monopoly.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great blog Daddy.. I'm so happy I could help you set it up. You are the reason I love baseball and the SF Giants. I am grateful that we are able to share this passion because it has definitely brought us closer. I know we have had many years of disappointments (and you many more than me) but the moments we have shared with baseball will be memories I will always have. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dr. B!

    We were concerned that you broke your legs after the Bumgarner draft ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Perfert Rx for Giants Fans, from the Good Dr. B:

    Visit "When the Giants Come to Town" at least once a day, and come back again the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks everybody! I'm overwhelmed. I will do my best to keep the site interesting, challenging and worth visiting. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Doc ~ Just a note of congratulations from one of your many quiet devotees from the sfgiants site (I believe they call us “lurkers”). I’m a professional of your vintage, hail from the North Bay, subscribed to TSN, and likewise well remember Jim Ray Hart and the crew from the ‘60’s. I’ve been partially laid up these last three years and have found great solace in your commentary -- always insightful, well crafted, and civilized too. Keep up the good work! I’m sure many of us will bookmark your blog.
    Jim from Marin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Dr. B - you're very welcome for the shout out on MCC. I've been reading your stuff since you and ProspectHound used to really keep the SF Giants prospect threads lively. Love your stuff - congrats on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DrB,
    As I posted elsewhere here, it's great to discover you're still involved in the Giants and their prospects. It sounds like you and I grew up with similar experiences. Living in Sacramento, I loved hearing Russ and Lon describe the games on the radio. Mays, Marichal, McCovey, and Hart were definitely the big guns, but I always appreciated Jim Davenport for his quiet contributions.

    I'll enjoy going through your previous posts. Keep up the good work! I look forward to many excellent conversations here.

    ReplyDelete