Carson Whisenhunt was lit up for a huge 3-run home run by Jo Adell in the first inning and the game was basically over at that point except for the pummeling. Key Lines:
Jonah Cox CF- 2 for 4. BA= .286. Cox is back up and continues to get on base and show range in CF. He did get picked off and CS to negate the two hits. Hopefully the coaches can give him some pointers on reading MLB pitchers, especially LHP's.
Bryce Eldridge 1B- 2 for 4, HR(14), R, RBI. BA= .250. Eldridge drove in the Giants only run with a home run of his own in the 2'nd inning, off a LHP to boot. Everything about him reminds me so much of Brandon Belt, I sometimes have to double-check myself to make sure it's not Belt out there. I already see an ability to handle inside pitches that I never saw in Belt so I am optimistic Bryce will end up as a much better hitter.
Carson Whisenhunt LHP- 4 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 3/5 GO/AO. ERA= 7.03. I don't know if he was tipping pitches but he was not fooling the Guardians batters, especially Jo Adell who torched him for 3 hits and 6 RBI's. The first 3 batters in the Guardians lineup all reached base 3 times. Right now The Whiz is not looking like a pitcher to count on for next season.
Trent Harris RHP- 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K's. ERA= 7.71. After giving up 4 runs in his first 1.2 IP, Harris combined line for his last 2 games is 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K's.
Reiver Sanmartin LHP- 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K's. ERA= 7.45. Sanmartin allowed the first 3 batters he faced to reach base. He settled down after that and should have been out of the 7'th inning but Bryce Eldridge inexplicably dropped a relay throw from Osleivis Basabe that was off the ground. Sanmartin has a nice pitch mix which looks more like a starter's mix than a relievers to my eye.
Note that all three Giants pitchers who appeared in the game finished the day with ERA's over 7.
Matt "Tugboat" Wilkinson LHP brings his soft-tossing, "invisiball" for a major league tryout tonight facing Parker Messick LHP who comes in with a 2.59 ERA. And that sure seems like a lot of quotation marks in The Tugboat's game.
Whisenhunt needs to be moved to the bullpen and learn to develop a sweeper this offseason.
ReplyDeleteThe best thing about yesterday's game: it was over early.
ReplyDeleteThe message: The Whiz may already be The Was...
I liked Brandon Belt as a player but he never provided the big power numbers I thought he would have. I think Bryce has the potential for much more.
ReplyDeletethe team meetings will continue until morale improves
ReplyDeleteIn the olden days when I would occasionally accept an invitation to golf, I agreed on condition that I would have unlimited mulligans. About every third shot was pretty good!
ReplyDeleteReminds me of Whisenhunt. But the team can’t afford all those mulligans.
if you have excitation about the good vibrations created by the upcoming start by Tugboat, just look at Whisenhunt's start and the fastball mph numbers. that's about what you're gonna get with The Tugboat and the Guardians will treat such offerings with rude disdain. -es
ReplyDeleteWhisenhunt’s always was going to be that guy who, if he has any success in the majors, he’s likely going to get shelled first and then come back stronger. He just needs to get better with a third pitch. He’s working on it but this off-season will be pivotal. Always pivotal to keep throwing him out there every 5 days to let him see the quality of hitters he will have to learn to face.
ReplyDelete