Thursday, April 30, 2020

Scouting the 2020 Draft: Mario Zabala


Mario Zabala OF, HS.  B-R, T-R.  6'2", 195 lbs.

Mario Zabala has tools to spare.  PG's numbers include a 6.28 60 yd dash, 93 MPH OF Velocity, 100 MPH Exit Velocity.  On top of that, he'll be just 1 month down the road from his 18'th birthday on draft day.  Only negative I can see is he already has a fairly mature looking body that looks like it might not age well.  On the other hand, when your tools are already that loud, you don't necessarily need projectability.  Physically I am going to say he reminds me of a young Orlando Cepeda(hey!  I've been doing some historic pieces and they look similar).  Another fairly obvious comp would be current Giants prospect, Heliot Ramos, also from Puerto Rico(Zabala attends IMG Academy in Florida but is from Puerto Rico).  Fangraphs has him ranked #104 while I could not find him listed in MLB Pipeline's top 150.  I saw one mock draft that has him going to the Giants at #68 overall(comp pick) which would be A-OK with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment