Saturday, March 14, 2020

Thoughts On What We Do Now


Well, here we are.  First of all, I appreciate the kind words and positive feedback regarding my COVID 19 post.  As a physician and educator, it is rewarding to know folks found it informative.  Literally within hours of writing the post, MLB announced the cessation of spring training and a delay of the regular season by at least 2 weeks.  I have to tell you, based on incident data I have seen, I do not expect to see any games being played before June at the earliest.  I hope I am wrong about that, but even if social distancing measures work as intended, if we go back to business as usual too soon, we risk a resurgence and having to start all over.

We have a double whammy situation here.  Has anyone tried to find entertaining content to watch on TV lately?  Wow!  Talk about 57 Channels and Nothin' On!  We have DirecTV and it's more like 570 channels and nothin' on!  Without sports to watch, social distancing becomes an even more isolating and boring existence.  OK, I can write more articles for my blog.....oh, never mind.  There are no games to write about.  Well, there's always the minor leagues......oops!  Never mind that too!  OK, there's college baseball and the draft......nope, that's cancelled too!

How has COVID 19 affected you?  I went out to the store this afternoon and a mob of people stocking up on everything you can imagine.  I got what I needed, but a lot of shelves were empty or almost empty.  Absolutely no paper products to be found anywhere.  On top of all that, I probably exposed myself to the virus in the process!

I will try to think of things to write about to help all of us get through, but it's going to be tough.  I'm looking for suggestions.  If you have any, please post them in comments.  This is probably a good time to start a Q/A.  Post your questions and I'll answer them in a subsequent post.  I'll take questions on any topic within reason.  Giants, prospects, draft, fantasy baseball, Giants and baseball history, Coronavirus, other medical topics, whatever you want to talk about.

Stay safe, everybody!  This virus is the real deal.  And for God's sake, stop hoarding toilet paper!

*********************************************************************************

What an honor to get a comment/question from the family of a minor league player!  BTW, I know who you are from the information you gave, but I'll let readers do their own research and figure it out for themselves.

If it is financially feasible for your son to stay put, that is probably the best bet to stay safe(although nothing is guaranteed).  Mass transportation of any kind is very high on the list of things to avoid if at all possible.  If travel is absolutely necessary, private car is probably safest, again if possible.  I know our instincts are always to get close to family members who fall sick.  Just remember that strict, even draconian, quarantining of the sick, even from family members is the key to stopping the spread of this pandemic.

One more thought:  The Case-Fatality Ratio rises dramatically with age so you are much more likely to become severely or critically ill, or even die from the virus, than your son, if you get it.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm the parent of a minor league player. I've been following your blog ever since I found it after he was drafted in 2017. Even though he was traded to the Rangers in 2018 I still occasionally check your blog for Giants updates. I appreciate your sober assessments regarding baseball, and now your input on the virus.

    I got a call last night from my son who's still out in Arizona. The minor league players were told that they could go home if they wanted to, or they can stay and continue to work out although practices have been cancelled. My wife and I told him that he could come home if he wanted to and shared our concern that he was so far away at this time (we live in Florida). However, we also told him it's probably just as likely to catch it here if he came home.

    We've heard the symptoms can be fairly mild to the young and healthy. Is this true? My wife and I discussed being ready to fly out there if he calls and says he's sick? And there are questions and ramifications to this as well. Would he be quarantined? Would we even be able to see him if we went there? How long would it be before we'd be able to come home? Etc...

    I guess everyone has remote family members to be concerned about these days. Especially of course the elderly. Strange times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about, starting with the NL West, you "analyze" what each major league team has done in the off-season.
    As a minimum, that would take 4 weeks which might just take care of the hiatus for the rest of us.
    Do the AL East last. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. subscribe to the Criterion Channel, only 100 clams a year and you will have a vast array of the world's greatest cinema at home. good time to catch up on some Bergman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, DrB, for the great and sober posts about COVID-19. It is serious. And I know that at times like these, baseball is a trivial thing.
    But...
    There's a hole in my world. On a normal Saturday in March, I'd be watching Spring Training, wondering if some young prospect was the 'real deal' or just a 'flash in the pan'. Like many people, I suffer from 'Winter Depression', and the start of the season is a healing touchstone. Baseball is a grand distraction from all the daily bad news, and I really miss it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like you do, Pyalgia,

    I'm reminded of the quote from my favorite movie:

    Terence: The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

    Field of Dreams

    For me, and many others, baseball was a part of the healing process after the Loma Prieta quake, after 9/11, and personally after the passing of my father. It was a large part of the return to the normalcy of life.

    Thank you, Dr. B for your insights and inputs. Be well, everyone.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that MLB is following CDC guidance suspending the season, but we all miss baseball right now . I've been a Giants fan for 40+ years and was looking forward to this season with a new manager and promising young players like Mauricio Dubon, Yaz, and others like Joey Bart competing for playing time. I'm also a big University of Hawaii baseball fan, and felt bad for the kids especially seniors whose season was cut short abruptly. Their season looked promising when they almost took 2 out of 3 games from top rank Vandy, losing the deciding game in extra innings. Thanks Drb for your informative posts on Covid-19. Who knows if we'll have baseball this summer, but the main thing is we all take care and stay safe!

      Delete