Saturday, October 3, 2020

Blogger's Note

I am back from a long overdue purely R&R vacation which unfortunately started the final day of the regular MLB season.  Also unfortunately, the Giants came up short.  As un-normal as this season was, I found a lot to like about it.  While the Giants were not a good team and were in contention only because of a greatly expanded playoff format, they were still better than I expected, especially if you discount their horrific 8-16 start.  It's generally more rewarding to watch the team you root for get better as the season progresses than to watch them collapse.  

As for the MLB season as a whole, I applaud  MLB for pulling this off.  I honestly did not think they would be able to finish any schedule without a complete shutdown.  That they did, and that over the last month they had zero positive tests, took a lot of planning, hard work and an amazing level of discipline and cooperation by the players.  Maybe, just maybe, we can all look to MLB as model for how to live with this virus, which is still as deadly as ever and does not appear to be going away anytime soon.

As for new rules, I loved the addition of the DH to the NL.  It produced a better, more interesting entertainment product on the field.  I may write more about that in an upcoming post.  The extra-innings rule....well, I can take it or leave it.  I generally stop caring who wins after it goes into extras and I turn games off when that happens.  I kept on turning them off this season, so only got to see the runner at 2B thing a couple of times anyway.  I like the 3-batter minimum rule.  There is nothing more boring in later innings than watching pitching changes.  This rule effectively reduced those changes and did not otherwise take away from the game-watching experience.  

Finally, for the first time since I started blogging 11 years ago, I did not miss the grind of writing daily posts when I was on my R&R. In fact, it was difficult to get started writing this post, but I felt my readership deserved an explanation and roadmap for the future.  I apologize for not being able to give you a more definitive vision for the future of the blog.  I am not closing the door to resuming daily posts at some point in the future, but I need a break.  I will likely still write posts from time-to-time but only when I feel like it and have something I need to say.  If I think of a series of posts to write about, they may resume on a daily basis for a given series, but I am not going to hold myself to any set schedule.  I will make a decision about resuming daily Game Wraps when the time comes next spring but at this point my inclination is it's just not fun anymore, which is the only reason why I have ever blogged.

In the meantime, I look forward to what FZ has up his sleeve for the offseason.

19 comments:

  1. Doc; thanks for all your posts.
    I found them to be highly entertaining, informative as well thought provoking!
    I will keep checking to see if there is a new post or not.
    I've never met you, but feel I know you!
    You became a part of my daily life!
    All the best to you and your family in these uncertain times.
    See you soon I hope my friend!

    Richard in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be missed. It's the way I've started my mornings the last 10 years. You obliterate the other Giant blogs including Lefty, Foghorn, MCC — everybody!
    What will FZ do?
    Something the end of the season for the Giants and the Giants of 2010, 2012, 2014, & 2016, and particularly the Cardinal-Padres playoffs:
    it's hard to beat a good bullpen.
    Come from behind late rallies like the Giants did this year against others' bullpens were exhilarating.
    Losing to late rallies when the 'Pen wasn't good enough was excruciating.
    FZ: dabble with your churn, maybe sign an SP or 2, but FIX THE FREAKIN' PEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my son was born, my wife had a particularly rough labor. As I sat next to her in the hospital overnight, I read back through your posts to keep me awake and sane.

    I’ve enjoyed reading your posts for the last 10+ years. I really missed the daily minor league breakdowns this year. Thank you for all the joy you provided over the years. You’ve got earned a break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words, everybody. Honestly the main reason I've kept it going this long is the knowledge that I have dedicated readers who have come to rely on the daily posts. That's what hurts the most about taking a break. Can't make any promises but in the past, these breaks have not lasted long as the juices start flowing again after a few days off, but this time it does feel a little different, like maybe I need a longer break? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha Doc!

    Thank you for providing my daily Giants fix all these years. That'll be missed. Your knowledge of the Giants minor league system is impressive. Enjoyed reading the comments section as well. FZ raised the bar by saying for the 1st time playoff birth is the goal for 2021. That's good. Don't know how you kept your blog going all these years. You have earned a well deserved break. All the best to you and your family.. Mahalo (Thank you)! Go Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Likewise, you will be missed. Your Blog has also been the way I've started my mornings since that fateful year of 2010. Good times! You are far better than any other Giant news. I will miss your daily Giant updates. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe change the format a little. I think it would be exhausting to cover every game wrap for all levels. How about just your thoughts on the system?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you from me, too, Doc -- I've also checked your blog daily before anything else -- it's been a great way to know what's going on with the Giants. Enjoy the time you've freed up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for years of devotion to analyzing Giants baseball for us! Bummed there wasn't a minor league season this year because your minor league wraps and prospect analysis are my favorites!

    ~J (SF)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a boy growing up in the mid 60s in my native central illinois I became a SF Giants fan because of Willie Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Gaylord Perry and Bobby Bonds. I just had to be different from all of my friends and family that were all Cub and Cardinal fans. Those were great times listening to Cards or Cubs playing the Giants in SF at 10:00 at night with my little transistor radio. We lost some of those legends of the game this summer, Tom Terrific Server, Lou Brock and now Bob Gibson this weekend. I have enjoyed your blog one of the first things I look at in the morning after a Giants game. Sometimes the time comes to move on. As a fan of your blog I understand. Thanks for what you have posted all this time. It been like my modern day transistor radio. Cheers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Doc,
    Thanks for giving us fans the best Giants blog out there. We completely understand your decision to cut back on the posting and personally, as a health care provider myself, I have been amazed that you were able to do it day after day at such a high level of quality despite the demands of your job. In fact I'm sure it must have felt at times like having two full time jobs. So, as you say, the bottom line is that it has to be fun for you. Whatever and whenever you post something new it will be appreciatively and voraciously devoured by your readers. Looking forward to the new direction of the blog and to a hopefully more "normal" 2021 season for the Giants. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doc, I've faithfully read your summaries over these years and appreciated your insights. It's a big task, though, and I'm surprised you made it this long with nary a break. Hopefully we'll still get the benefit of your thoughts even if on a more occasional and generalized basis. Thanks again for all your work, and here's to us all surviving into 2021.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Doc,
    I’ve been following your posts since the Sfgiants message board days. Your breakdowns of the minor league and major leagues is incredibly well reasoned, and true to the data, which is so refreshing. Like many others your site has been a staple accompaniment to my my morning cup of coffee and giants baseball intake. I hope you recharge your battery and we continue to get to read your giants posts... even if they are fewer and farther in between!

    All the best,

    James

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since you started this blog, not a day has gone by that I haven’t checked for new posts. Through reading your insight on the giants farm system I’ve developed my own love for the little giants working for their chance to fulfill their dreams. I’ll still check in for updates but I’m happy that you’re taking a step back and recharging your batteries. You’ve put a ton of work into this blog and you deserve it. Big thanks from this Giants fan to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I look forward to reading whatever you are writing about the Giants, whenever you do it.

    I admit, I don't check the site everyday, even during the season, too much to do, too many things to distract, so I can't blame you for getting worn down by the slog. But I enjoy your perspective and hope you continue to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the terrific blog.

    Fully understand your needing to lighten the load, and (if appropriate), wanted to direct people who want to stay current on the SF prospects to Roger Munter's site here:

    https://rogermunter.substack.com/p/who-might-debut-in-2021

    Again, thanks for all the hard work.
    Much appreciated.


    ReplyDelete
  17. Doc,
    I really enjoy your blog especially the minor league updates and analysis. I grew up in the 60s listening to Russ and Lon almost everyday during the season. Never was able to get info on prospects until I discovered the Sporting News-even that was limited. I'm optimistic with the direction of the Farm system and hope you'll be able to provide at least periodic reports and analysis. I think Farhan and his staff are the right people for the job -a more modern approach to talent evaluation and acquisition was needed. Smyly, Gausman, Dickerson....Pretty Good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Doc, for all the time and effort you have put into your blog. A whole bunch of us have logged in daily to get your take on things. I will appreciate whatever scaled back version of the WhenTheGiantsComeToTown you choose to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Doc. Grew up in southern Ontario, Canada a Giants fan in the early 60's. Your blog has kept me connected to the Giants for the past 10 years. Your efforts are appreciated, and I hope you will enjoy your break. It's well deserved. I will look forward to your occasional posts when time allows.

    ReplyDelete